(in reverse chronological order)
20. Johnston MW, Milligan RJ, Easson CG, de Rada S, Penta B, Sutton TT (in preparation) Characterizing Pelagic Habitats in the Gulf of Mexico Using Model, Empirical, and Remotely-Sensed Data. Journal of Ocean Systems.
19. Bernard AM, Johnston MW, Reichert MJ, Shivji MS (in preparation) Genetic and Biophysical Modeling Evidence of panmixia over generations of Atlantic Red Grouper (Epinephelus Morio). Molecular Ecology.
18. Johnston MW (in revision) Perspectives of biophysical modelling with implications on biological connectivity. In Past, Present and Future of Mediterranean Cold‐Water Corals. Eds C. Jimenez and C. Orejas. Springer.
17. Riegl B, Johnston MW, Bauman A, Howells E, Burt J, Purkis S, Sheppard CRC (in revision) Approaching regional extinction of dominant coral threatens evolutionary innovation and geological persistence of reefs. Global Change Biology.
16. Sylvain P, Johnston MW, Vaissièrec AC, Bergerd F, Jacoba C, Dodge R (in revision) Scoring ecological mitigation projects based on rapid ecological function assessment using an updated version of the software Visual HEA. Ecological Engineering.
15. O’Brien CM, Johnston MW, Kerstetter D (in press) Ports, Prosperity, & Pests: Assessing the Threat of Aquatic Invasive Species Introduced by Maritime Shipping Activity in Cuba. Marine Pollution Bulletin.
8. Johnston, MW, Purkis, SJ (2015) A coordinated and sustained international strategy is required to turn the tide on the Atlantic lionfish invasion. Marine Ecology Progress Series 533:219-235. http://dx.doi.org/10.3354/meps11399
6. Johnston, MW, Purkis, SJ (2014) Are lionfish set for a Mediterranean invasion? Modelling explains why this is unlikely to occur. Marine Pollution Bulletin 88 (1), 138-147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.09.013
3. Johnston, MW, Purkis, SJ (2013) Modeling the potential spread of the recently identified non-native panther grouper (Chromileptes altivelis) in the Atlantic using a cellular automaton approach. PLoS ONE 8(8): e73023. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0073023
Conference Proceedings and Poster Presentations:
deRada S, Penta B, Sutton T, Johnston M, Milligan R, Easson C, Cook A, Boswell K, Lembke C, English D, Hu C (2017) Physical-bio-optical modeling in the Gulf of Mexico: Analysis of water mass relationships to pelagic habitat. 2017 ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, Honolulu, Hawai’i.
Sutton T, Cook A, Boswell k, Bracken-Grissom H, deRada S, English D, Eytan R, Hu C, Johnston M, Judkins H, Lembke C, Lopez J, Moore J, Nizinski M, Penta B, Romero I, Rooker J, Shivji M, Vecchione M, Wells D, Youngbluth M, Fenolio D, Frank T (2017) Deep-pelagic research in the Gulf of Mexico: The DEEPEND Consortium. 2017 ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, Honolulu, Hawai’i.
deRada S, Penta B, Johnston MW, Milligan RJ, Easson CG, Sutton T (2017) DEEPEND: Relating Pelagic Habitat to Ocean Stratification. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Johnston MW, Milligan RJ, Easson CG, de Rada S, Penta B, Sutton T (2017) DEEPEND: Characterizing Pelagic Habitats in the Gulf of Mexico Using Model, Empirical, and Remotely-Sensed Data. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Johnston MW, Bernard AM, Shivji MS (2016) Genetic and Biophysical Modeling Assessment of Red Grouper (Epinephelus Morio) Connectivity in the Gulf of Mexico and Southeastern USA. 69th Annual Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute Conference, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.
Johnston MW, Bernard AM, Shivji MS (2016) Lionfish sources and sinks in the Atlantic: are reef fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico at risk? 69th Annual Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute Conference, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.
Johnston MW, Bernard AM, Reichert MJ, Shivji MS (2016) Genetic and Biophysical Modeling Assessment of Connectivity in the Red Grouper, Epinephelus Morio. 13th International Coral Reef Symposium, Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA.
Sutton TT, Johnston MW, and 18 others (2015) Understanding deep-pelagic ecosystem variability in an age of increasing deep-ocean commercial activity: A Gulf of Mexico case study and new research initiative (DEEPEND). Deep-Sea Biology Symposium, Aveiro, Portugal.
Sutton TT, Cook AC, Johnston MW, and 17 others (2015) DEEPEND: Deep Pelagic Nekton Dynamics of the Gulf of Mexico. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, Houston, TX.
Lopez J, Johnston MW (2014) Establishing a “Global Invertebrate Genome Alliance” (GIGA) for Comparative Genomics. Society of Molecular Biology and Evolution Meeting. (poster presentation)
Johnston MW, Purkis SJ (2013) Lionfish in the Eastern Pacific and Mediterranean - Assessing the Invasion Risk with a Cellular Automaton Mode. FWC Lionfish Summit Report (poster presentation)